Changes to the ‘backpacker tax’ 2017

By  •  June 6, 2017 at 7:21 am  •  0 Comments

On 1 January 2017, tax rates changed for working holiday makers who are in Australia on a 417 or 462 visa.

What does this mean for you?

If you employ a working holiday maker on a 417 or 462 visa:

  • You must register with us so you can withhold the correct amount tax.
  • You should withhold 15% from every dollar earned up to $37,000 with foreign resident tax rates applying from $37,001.
  • If you don’t register you need to withhold at the foreign resident tax rate of 32.5% from the first dollar earned.
  • If you employed a working holiday maker before and after 1 January 2017, you need to issue two payment summaries for this financial year
    • one for income earned up to 31 December 2016
    • one for income earned from 1 January 2017 (using gross payments type H).

About the Author:


Leave a Reply